Monday, October 22, 2007

K-dramas: What I noted so far..

Ever since Coffee Prince, I had watched a couple more Korean dramas; One Fine Day and My Lovely Sam Soon. I would not considered myself addicted to K-dramas but it is indeed entertaining to watch and also partly to fill up my weekend time =). I'll blog about One Fine Day and My Lovely Sam Soon later whilst 'My Favourite Cups' from Coffee Prince is still in draft =(. I will work hard on it in the next few days..

That aside, just wanted to share some common points I noted from the three dramas I had watched. Hopefully, these common points will be different from how I see it now when I venture more K-dramas. So friends, please recommend good ones if you know any.

Lets see what I have noted:

1) As common as the grains of sand on a sandy beach, all three have love story as its theme. Now this makes me wonder do most Korean dramas typically have romance as its genre. Anyhow, people like me still love to watch..haha!! What to do..GIRLS!!

2) Probably it is a coincidence but all the love relationships started at work place and the lead actors always happened to be the boss to the leading actresses. Wah!! Good leh..they get to see each other every day.

3) The leading actresses always have financial problems. Hence, they ended up working and later, fell in love for their bosses.

4) The guys like to raise their voice at the women. Come on..show lar some courtesy even if you are angry. No offence to the Korean guys yuh!! I know this is not the real Korean culture =).

5) Couples' siblings like to stick their nose into their relationships. Annoying to watch them at times.

6) Without fail, there's always love triangle or love square involved. 'A' likes 'B' but 'B' likes 'C'. Then 'C' likes 'A' and you have 'D' likes 'C'..complicated relationship.

7) When it comes to eating time, you get to see Sushi, Sashimi or Ramen being served. The Koreans seem to enjoy Japanese food a lot.

8) The couples always have fierce parents especially the mother. The actors/actresses probably need ear plugs when acting these sort of scenes..when being scolded by their "mother" ;) .

9) The guys always stay alone and in very nice studio apartments.

10) Irregardless male or female, they like to reveal their age. I understand that it's a norm for the Koreans to reveal their age so that they would know how to address the other party. It's a form of respect. You can call me 'Li Li unni' if you are younger than me or I will call you 'Noona' if you are younger.

11) They always travel to/from America for work or study purpose. America America America!! In 'One Fine Day', the first 2 episodes were filmed in Sydney though. Ahh..at least the Sydney Opera House and the Botanical Garden looks familiar to me.

12) Last but not least (hope I did not miss anything else), "What??, Why??" are the common words used. You really hear it a lot. I can also act out their facial expressions when saying it =).

Well..try to take note if the above are true when you watch K-Drama the next time. Ok..what's next on the list to watch now?? MY GIRL!!!

3 comments:

n i l e e y said...

Good observation :)

In regards to Jap food, the sushi you see can be known as Kimbap. It's usually prepared hot and then sliced similar to sushi. I think you can always check with MiSook on this :)

Anonymous said...

I came ~

1) Food:
korea has some similar convinient food as Japan. If you have a time, I will treat you those convinient and additive street food! I love it!

2) Love Love Love:
Actually the most drama for youngage is dealing with love triagle. And that has been most focussed in the outside of Korea, too. But if you can dig deeper, you can find unique and interesting drama as well. :)I can introduce if you want to know.

Other parts, you can check with me verbally... haha.. Enjoy your weekend~!

Anonymous said...

Just a few notes on the calling of elders. Here it goes:
- younger sis calling older sis "Unni"

-younger bro calling older sis "Noona"

-younger bro calling older bro "hyung'

-younger sis/gf calling older bro/bf "oppa" (basically if the girl is younger than the guy, be it brother of bf, the guys are being called "oppa"